[RTTY] extfsk & omni6

Ed w3nr at comcast.net
Wed Feb 28 18:21:00 EST 2007

Ed wrote:
> Anyone care to share the correct settings to use extfsk with the omni ?
> I have it installed, called cq more than I care...no joy. Evidently I
> have something,somewhere, set wrong. Any one care to help
>
> Ed W3NR

Thanks to everyone for their time and comments. Several had it correct
that the Omni 5/6 require a +/- voltage from the TXD pin. Several also
had some good ideas, but did not understand the TT FSK cicuit. TT is
unique that it uses what I refer to as true FSK. They actually shift the
frequency via 2 crystals 170 hz apart.

The reason I was trying extfsk was to determine why the Omni would no
longer transmit in FSK. This all happened about the time I changed from
a desktop to a laptop computer. So was it the laptop or the rig. Well I
have determined its the rig itself. I plugged a 9 volt battery into the
FSK socket and the rig did not switch to transmit.

So, bottom line, using extfsk with the Omni 5/6 will not and does not
work. I have the choice of using AFSK  or getting the rig repaired.

Thanks again...interesting discussion......73

Ed W3NR