[RTTY] First K3 FSK QSO Tonight

J. Edward (Ed) Muns w0yk at msn.com
Tue Jul 17 12:23:13 EDT 2007

> I don't get it with the K3. The "barebones" 10-watt version
> is expensive compared to many rigs which are already more
> capable, and by the time you add in options which are
> standard on other rigs you have a VERY expensive rig. The
> crystal filters alone, if you get all seven of them will set
> you back $840 all by themselves!! And then you have to add
> the antenna tuner ($259), separate sub-receiver $539), 100
> watt upgrade ($349), digital voice recorder ($99) and after
> all that you still don'thave a spectrum display....
>
> Like I said, I don't get it.

The crystal filters are roofing filters.  The main filtering is done in DSP.
Take the ProIII, for example.  I has ONE crystal roofing filter at 15KHz,
that's all.  So, comparatively, just get the K3 with one roofing filter.
Getting seven roofing filters is ridiculous, for all but a very few
fanatics.  It comes with 2.7KHz which is much better than the PROIII
(although INRAD just came out with a 4-5KHz roofing filter for the ProIII)
unless you operate AM and/or FM.  In that case, you need to get a wider
roofing filter.

A barebones 10-watt K3 is incredibly more capable than any rigs in that
price range ... depending on how you define "capable".  If it is receive
performance, for example, you'll have to pay much more to get close to the
K3.  If all you care about is a list of features, without respect to
performance, then yes there are cheaper alternatives.

If you want a spectrum display, get a ProIII.  It's a fine radio.  If you
want top-of-the-line IMD performance, get a K3.  The so-called
"sub-receiver" in the K3 is a full blown clone of the main receiver.
Absolutely no compromises, but yes, if you don't care about that and only
want the ability to listen in a degraded way on the same band, then a
cheaper sub-receiver is OK.  So on and so on, it all boils down to whether
or not you value the "capability" integrated in the K3.  With the K3 you can
choose the major system components, e.g., antenna tuner or not, and adjust
the price accordingly.  You aren't forced to buy the DVR if you only operate
CW.

73,
Ed - W0YK