[RTTY] 3B7SP

Art Searle W2NRA w2nra at optonline.net
Thu Jun 14 09:30:16 EDT 2007

All of the responses, on this reflector and privately, to my confession were
positive and encouraging.  Thank you guys, for your understanding.

Oh and one more funny note.  There is apparently a new band police SWAT team
and there assignment is to go after continuous callers who keep calling
after the DX comes back to a specific station.  They will send on the DX's
frequency "DO NOT TX WHEN IT IS NO YOU."  Well when I got QRM'd 3B7SP sent
"W2NRA only".  I tried to reestablish contact by sending "3B7SP de W2NRA"
and my report.  Well the police sent  "W2NRA.....DO NOT TX WHEN IT IS NO
YOU".  I stand falsely accused.  I call that police brutality.  Where's the
ACLU (Amateur Civil Liberties Union)?

Ok, now I'm stepping up on to the soap box, so get ready to hit the delete
button:
Actually I don't understand the continuous calling (or the band police for
that matter).  Why do they do it?  It doesn't work.  If you're continuously
calling you don't know where the DX is listening (and you cannot rely on
spots), so you're not properly planning where to put your signal.  I don't
continuous call.  I have a modest station.  My small and very old 5 band
beam is only up 33 feet and yet I've worked everything I hear.  Here are
some examples:  In a little over a year I've worked 6 new countries
including the 1st KH8SI and the recent BS7H (both tough to do from the East
coast).  I now only have 7 left.  Ok, maybe only 6, if Palestine completes
deleting itself.  This is not much of an accomplishment for as long as I've
been a ham.  But a lot of ham friends with much better stations have missed
many of these recent Dxpeditions and blamed it on the DXpeditions.  I know
most of us Dxers don't continuous call.  But the number that do seems to be
on the rise.  I've also heard many a familiar callsigns doing it.  And that
surprises and disappoints me.  I know; I'm preaching to the choir.

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the code!"
w2nra.com