[RTTY] CI-V issue % lightning strikes

Ed k4sb at comcast.net
Thu Jun 14 13:46:39 EDT 2007

Well, I am fortunate that the only strike I have ever had was on a
2 meter phased antenna on the top of a 100' tower. Strangely enough, I
didn't discover the damage for almost 2 years. It blew the thing
exactly in half, and if the truth be known, I think the performance
improved. Only found it when the lawn mower started picking up shards
of Fiberglas.

But, this is how my stations is set up in the hamshack in the
basement.

Every piece of equipment which requires power is fed from a added
150 amp AC breaker box. Pulling the plug kills the entire basement.

I also control 3 T2Xs with one control box through a home made switch.
There is also a 4th switch position which is common to the other 3,
and
if I select that, it grounds every single lead of the rotor cables.

As for the phone, I intercepted the line where it enters the basement,
and then installed a 2 position phone box from RS with about a 6"
jumper connecting both positions. Pulling out either end effectively
kills all the phone lines in the house.

Just a couple of suggestions. Hope they help.

73
Ed