[RTTY] LOST MY WPX LOG...

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 04:00:20 EST 2007

I2UIY Wrote:

>I simply wrote to fix obvious typos.
>I did so because I like to split "theory" from what REALLY happens.
>
>The chances to cheat that you listed are really FUNNY to me.

[...]

> "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe"?

Indeed he has. With all the logs in front of him, the referee has a
godlike overview of everything that happened in the contest. Each
contest had its own pattern of events, and cheating or grossly
inaccurate logs don't fit the pattern.

Nobody else but the referee has that post-contest overview. In
particular, any individuals trying to fabricate contacts don't have it,
so they literally don't know what they are doing. That makes their logs
stand out a mile to the referee. Once alerted, the referee can drill
down into the detail... and then of course the whole fabrication falls
apart.

Been there, done that. Even in the old days of paper logs and manual
cross-checking, the 'dud' logs were glaringly obvious. These days, the
referee also has the help of a computer that is untiring in its
scrutiny.

So potential cheats should take warning... and honest folks like Shelby
can take some comfort.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK