[RTTY] Rtty contest when Cw contest is on also

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Thu Mar 15 16:36:39 EST 2007

Barry writes:

> Part of the problem is there are way too many RTTY contests -
> something almost every weekend.

The same thing can be said about CW and phone contests ... there
is always something out there from the East Podunk Sprint to the
Empty State QSO Party.

> Related to this is the non-R2 40m allocation
> around 7040, and now 80m is squeezed, too.

You can thank the ARRL for not promoting RTTY and digital modes for
many years.  For them, it was "out of sight, out of mind."  Except
for RTTY Roundup and a nod to the RTTY DXCC, digital contesting and
digital DXing do not exist.  Why should thy promote "common digital
spectrum?"  Why would low power CW be promoted in the non-Region 2
digital areas rather than recommending use of other suitable (7100
- 7150 at that time) spectrum?

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV