[RTTY] The Email Robots are coming to RTTY!

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Wed Mar 21 09:36:19 EST 2007

Skip writes:

> ARRL is petitioning the FCC to allow Email Robots to take
> over the HF bands under 10m.
>
> You can read about the special meeting with the FCC here:
>
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hteller/11306-cont.pdf
>
> I urge all of you not to be complacent about this matter!

I was a member of the original ARRL "ad hoc digital committee"
in the 1980's that provided the recommendations on which the
current "semi-automatic" rules are based.  The "semi-automatic"
language was forced into those recommendations as the quid pro
quo for unattended (packet forwarding) operation.

There were members of that committee, myself included, who
argued that semi-automatic operation was no different than
unattended as far as the automatic station was concerned and
the potential for abuse and interference existed whether the
unattended station was initiating communications or only
responding to another station.

Like Skip, I urge everyone concerned about HF to comment
strongly against ANY "semi-automatic" operation.  Although
it may not directly impact traditional digital modes, the
application of "bandwidth" regulations brings with it the
prospect to wideband, high speed mailbots all over the "voice"
portions of the bands.  Has anyone given thought to the damage
that would occur if one of these scanning systems were set up
on 14.195?

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV