[RTTY] FMT Reminder 14-Nov at 9::45 PM EST

Dick Kriss aa5vu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 14 14:09:05 EST 2007

First, the ARRL Frequency Measuring Test is not really a contest but is a
good way to get a feel for our station calibration.

I use the FMT test tone to check my setup for spotting digital signals. I
consider the test tone to be the RTTY Mark or the center of the PSK31
signal. I use my normal PSK set up, lock in on the tone and record the
frequency. I send the readings to ARRL and they come back with a letter
letting me know how close I came the frequency of the transmitted tone.

No two setups are the same and while we think our calibration is pretty
good, there are all kinds of variables involved like the lack of good
frequency standard, rig calibration, computer, sound card and software
accuracies.

Try it.... the price (free) is right and it may only take a few minutes of
your time. The details are covered at

Frequency Measuring Test 2007 by H. Ward Silver, NØAX
<http://www.arrl.org/w1aw/fmt/2007/2007FMTSilver.pdf>

The W1AW FMT will be run on November 15, 2007 at 0245Z (Wednesday evening,
November 14 at 9:45 PM EST). The approximate frequencies are as follows:

160 meters 1854 kHz
80 meters 3583 kHz
40 meters 7045 kHz

Set your rig on the target frequency, lock in on the tone and record the
frequency offset.

What I have suggested is not the intended purpose of the FMT but is
something I have found useful and fun.  Also, something to do if there are
no RTTY signals at the time.

73 Dick AA5VU