[RTTY] pk232 saga continues

Ted Boerkamp tboerkamp at cogeco.ca
Sun Nov 25 22:09:34 EST 2007

Hi Everyone...my problems with getting a pk232 unit to talk
to my computer(s) continues. I wrote last week about a unit
I bought which when powered on only showed the 4 left most LEDs
on solid and no communication at all. Well I have now picked up
yet another newer vintage unit and it is doing exactly the same
thing!! I have tried both hyperterminal in XP and PCPakratt software
to no avail. I have reset the unit by pulling the jumper from the
hole on the underside. The cable I am using to connect to the comport
of 2 different PCs was one I always used with a KPC-1 modem for packet
(it's a 25 to 25 pin type with a 25 to 9 pin adapter added to it).
Which pins in the serial cable are necessary to connect to go from a DB25
pin connector to a DB9 pin connector?? Can someone supply me a list??
I have tried setting the comport and the unit to every baudrate from
300 up to 9600 to no avail. I am absolutely frustrated.
Does this unit have a history of the MC1488 and MC1489 ICs blowing at all??
As I understand it, on power up those 4 LEDs should flash and then only
1 LED on the right side should stay on. Am I correct in this assumption??
Any further suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Ted Boerkamp VE3SS