[RTTY] Use of Oscilloscope In RTTY

Doug Hall k4dsp.doug at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 13:15:22 EST 2007

John,
In order to use an oscilloscope for RTTY tuning you need a terminal
unit with mark and space filter outputs, or at the very least you need
a couple of filters at the mark and space frequencies that can be
connected to the X and Y inputs of the scope. And you need to set your
scope to X vs. Y mode. Just about any old oscilloscope will do fine -
in fact you don't need one with triggered sweep since you aren't using
the sweep generator at all.

But honestly, I wouldn't bother. I used an oscilloscope for RTTY
tuning for many years, but gave it up back when I started using
software modems. I have not missed it. The tuning scope in the program
I use (cocoaModem running under Mac OS X) is excellent.

73,
Doug, K4DSP