[RTTY] From the 3B7C team

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Wed Oct 3 13:52:57 EDT 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:07 AM, Ekki Plicht (DF4OR) wrote:

> But sometimes during the CQWW RTTY I even asked US stations to
> spell out their
> state. Two times "florida florida" or "minnessota minnessota" was
> much easier
> to decode than FL FL or MN MN. At least sometimes, and even if I
> had to type
> in the state manually. Condx were really bad so we could not decode
> the state
> properly.

Ekki is wise.

When asked for a state fill, I often send it as "OR OR OREGON".

"OR OR" is too fraught with problems of aliasing into another state's
abbreviation (four states and one territory), especially when I am so
weak that the other station could not pull it out the first time.

I am neutral about the name greeting.  As someone who does nothing
but S&P, you won't believe how many times it has prevented me from
asking for a repeat because someone had sent my name with the
exchange.  I often see my callsign garbled, especially if it is sent
only once.  But seeing my name has prevented me from asking for a
repeat of the exchange.

Send my callsign twice, or send my name once and my callsign once, it
does not matter to me when I S&P to you.

At least there aren't any extra FIGS and LTRS when someone sends my
name.  All callsigns have at least one extra FIGS and one extra LTRS
in the string, and some callsigns are longer than most of the names
that people use on the air -- so it is actually a faster exchange if
he sends me my name once and my callsign once.

I know of only one amateur callsign, and no longer active, that
didn't have the extra FIGS and LTRS.  (Not counting Amtor SELCAL,
that is.)

Even Eddie's name is shorter than the many call signs that he'd used,
HI.

73
Chen, W7AY