[RTTY] Soundcard Query + W4UK comment

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Tue Oct 16 16:46:31 EDT 2007

Evening all,

Jerry, I suspect that is simply down to the way some manufacturers handle
their hardware control.
It may well be that Compaq can (and maybe do) prevent the use of a 2nd
soundcard.
I have a friend who had a similar problem when installing a second hard
drive into a Dell machine. It just could not be done, as the BIOS had been
tinkered with to prevent any unauthorised tampering.

This is why I - and I suspect may RTTY ops - built my own machine. It has 4
COM ports, 2 soundcards, 3 hard drives, 2 CD re-writers, 8 USB ports, plus
various other bits, and it all works fine.

So, Graham, is yours a factory-supplied unit, or did you build it yourself?

As per Sven, it may still be achievable via the BIOS.

73 and GL

Phil GU0SUP