[RTTY] single op, 1 radio, 2 recvrs

Robert Chudek k0rc at pclink.com
Tue Oct 16 22:13:18 EDT 2007

Come on John, where did you get that from? I/We am NOT objecting to SO2R. Not the least. It's a great skill to develop. And a great advantage once you have a good handle on it. SO2R elevates you to the top of the "pack". As a matter of fact, one of the 2006 WRTC teams lost their second receiver within hours of the start of the competition. In their event summary, they confessed this effectively took them out of the competition. What more endorsement do you need that SO2R is a different class?

What I do object to is lumping everyone into the same category. This situation does not help promote the radiosport. Many real world comparisons have been shown that "Single Operator" is not an exclusive qualifier. I don't need to repeat them again. Some of the contest sponsors have already recognized this and made adjustments. "Expert Class" is one example of a step in the right direction. "Tribanders and wires" is another example.

Is it the need to have a lot of "chad" in the box? If you're Top Ten out of 1,500 competitors maybe that "feels" a lot better than "Top Ten" out of 300 competitors? I say, let the other 1200 operators compete with their "similar kind" and not be run over by the steamrollers. This will help promote the radiosport. Whether you're Top Ten out of 1,500, 300, or 15... in my book you're Top Ten, period.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 6