[RTTY] SerialGear USB to Serial adapter?

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Mon Oct 29 09:33:48 EST 2007

Good Morning,

My old Comtrol RocketPort USB to 4 RS232 serial ports seems to be dying. I
keep losing the com ports. This happened several times during the last
contests. I am thinking that I had better buy a new adapter to have ready.

Looking back in the Writelog email this year I see several had Edgeport
adapters. These seem a little pricey and I can not confirm that they will
do 5 bit serial or even which chip set they use.

I do see that the SerialGear or USBGear adapters using the FTDI chipset
supports 5 to 8 data bits with all stop bits and parity.

Does anyone have any experience with the USBGear?  I just clicked on
another page on their web site and I see that they have both the Prolific
chipset and the FTDI chipset.

Jerry, W6IHG
Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs
jpixton at shentel.net