[RTTY] FSK interface

Jerry Flanders jeflanders at comcast.net
Fri Sep 7 14:16:45 EDT 2007

At 01:00 PM 9/7/2007, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>--- WS7I <ws7i at ewarg.org> wrote:
>
> > Fine link with parts, board layout and lots of good stuff.
> >
> > http://www.jbgizmo.com/page28.htm
> >
> > Jim already had the fine Moutain West products so will probably not be
> > building.
>
>Too bad he didn't add one extra transistor for CW keying.
>
>73 - Jim AD1C

It is surprising that interface makers don't try to add features to
the basic circuit to improve their market standing. Feature
competition usually helps sell your product.

I wanted to just buy a ready-made interface a few years ago and found
that NONE of them provided full control - typically you had ONE opto
you could assign to either FSK, CW, or PTT - you had to choose! I had
to buy parts and make my own to get full features. This was AFTER I
had made the mistake of assuming the West Mountain product (only one
model was available then) would give me what I needed. When I
complained to West Mountain, they justified it by saying no mfr
provided ALL control circuits, and that most hams only needed the PTT.

Also, IIRC, WMA did not provide transformer isolation of both audio
lines at that time.

Jerry W4UK