[RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

Jack West XP w7ld at theriver.com
Tue Sep 18 12:11:35 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I got into RTTY contesting after a business trip and a personal visit to
W1UBG  qth.
He showed me his score printed in QST for the ARRL roundup.  He had a smile
from ear to ear.  He ran an Amiga computer, AFSK, 50 watts, and an atttic
antenna.  It
was a meger score.  He was proud that he was printed in QST.

He said he didn't care about the competition.  He simply wanted to see his
score
printed in QST and he made an effort each year to BETTER his own score.

I said to myself, "I can do that!" and I did, using my Commodore C-64 and
MBA-TOR
plugin and 50 watts.

I am not that good of an operator and I certainly don't have a super contest
station.
I, like W1UBG, (now SK),  am content to compete with myself.  I dream of
someday
trying SO2R.

Now that QST does not print ALL the scores, only the big ones, I am
considiering
dropping my subscription to QST.  That was the end of my thriill in RTTY
contests for me.

Ham radio is a hobby and it is supposed to be FUN!
RTTY is FUN!
Contesting is supposed to FUN!

Lets have FUN and not be so serious.

73