[RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R - the main issue

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Fri Sep 21 11:14:29 EDT 2007

Denny,

>   What to do about the SO2R op who comes back on a frequency
> after a delay from working his other radio, claiming it is
> still his frequency...
>   This is the single big issue of SO2R that I can see....

I think we can all agree that SO2T - the guy who transmits on
two bands at the same time (e.g., calls CQ on one band to hold
a frequency while working someone on another band) is breaking
the rules and should be sanctioned.  The question is whether
the ability to listen on multiple frequencies at the same time
and make quick band changes should be restricted.

Since Bill makes such a big deal about my "commercial" interests,
the microHAM MK2R and MK2R+ include both first one wins and last
one wins (selectable) lockouts to prevent SO2T.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who makes a QSO on another
frequency/band has relinquished his former "run frequency"
if he's gone long enough that someone else starts to use
it.  However, anyone who jumps onto a frequency with a CW three
seconds after an unanswered CQ is just as much as at fault as
the inexperienced or unskilled SO2R operator.  Even an "SO1R"
operator may not be able to immediately answer/defend his
frequency (many things can get in the way).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV