[RTTY] W7LD RTTY #578

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Tue Apr 8 09:58:17 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Jack West XP <w7ld at theriver.com> wrote:

>  Now that I have a WAS certificate do other modes result in add on
>  stickers?  and does each one cost $17.40 ?? Do you have the time
>  to expound on the above please?

First, congrats.  I got mine a few summers ago as N5UWY/9 with cards
(#410).  Only a few short again here in Oklahoma but all via LotW this
time.

The WAS program needs updating, IMHO.  They've added stuff but they've
made it even more complicated.  There are, by my count:

o 10 different awards (Basic, 1.8/50/144/222/432 MHz, Satellite, SSTV,
Phone, Digital) of which 2 have subdivisions (Phone -
AM/FM/USB/LSB/Other; Digital -
RTTY/PSK31/AMTOR/PacTOR/CLOVER/G-TOR/RTTY/Other) and,

o 12 different Endorsements (CW, Novice, QRP, EME and 10/12/15/17/20/30/40/80 m)

Someone with advanced math skills care to calculate the permutations
and combinations?

Oh, and only some of them are numbered (RTTY is, other digitals are not).

So, if you get all PSK do you get an "Endorsement" or a new award?
Seems like you get a new award.  OTOH, if you work all 50 states on 10
m RTTY ... or EME ... it appears you can an Endorsement sticker.

Confusing?  It is to me, anyway.  :-)

"The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government
strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and
a people strong enough and well enough informed to
maintain its sovereign control over its government." - FDR