[RTTY] 5-Band RTTY WAS

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at pclink.com
Mon Jan 7 13:12:10 EST 2008

Joe,

Actually, *I* am the one suggesting heresy, not you.

But before we get started, I thought you, me, Bill, and others should watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SEVuSZDIcI&feature=related

{Argument begin}

The 5-Band WAS CW, Phone, RTTY would only be an addition to the existing WAS Specialty awards being offered. Here's what they say about specialty certificates:

"Aside from the basic certificate for any combination of bands/modes, specialty certificates are issued for a variety of different bands and modes such as Satellite, 160-meters, SSTV, Digital, Phone, and each VHF band. Available endorsements, for a $7.50 charge, include CW, Novice, QRP, EME, and any single bands. The Digital and Phone awards are available for the various modes. They will be dated, but not numbered."

So in essence, if I read this right, you can already apply for 5 single band awards. ARRL is processing those cards anyway so I don't see any "extra work" involved. Maybe it's the $7.50 * 5 = $37.50 instead of $7.50 * 1 = $7.50 that is the deterrent to adding 5BWAS CW, Phone, and RTTY? If that's the case, they could adjust the processing fee to compensate for the extra work needed for these achievements.

The ARRL "rules" need to evolve with the times. When these certificate programs were first created, no one had computers, even the ARRL. Everything was hand processed. So I don't see record keeping/tracking as a huge issue either.

So... in the context of the video... did you sign up for the basic 5-minute argument or the full 10 sessions?  :-)

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

---- PART OF ORIGINAL MESSAGE THREAD ----

Bob,

> I think it's time to petition the ARRL again, but this time
> for the 5-Band RTTY WAS award. I'll check to see what the
> process is and make an attempt to get 5BWAS RTTY as another
> award. You suggestions will be appreciated. I have never
> attempted anything like this so I've got some learning to do!

Not to be a heretic but why should there be a 5BWAS RTTY when
the rules say:
   "There are no specialty 5 Band awards or endorsements."

That means there is no 5BWAS-Phone, 5BWAS-CW or even "5BWAS-
standing on your head."

You are really asking that the entire 5B WAS award be redesigned
to support specialty awards and endorsements.  I do not think that
the Awards Committee wants to get into setting rules/criteria for
specialty awards or the added burden of specialized card checking
and record keeping.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV