[RTTY] [CQ-Contest] RTTY Reflections

Tom Moore wx4tm at tm-moore.com
Tue Jan 8 15:12:00 EST 2008

I have mixed thoughts on this issue because I fully understand and
appreciate the fact that a hugh number of contest participants are not
'contesting' per se. They're in it for many other reasonable and useful
purposes. And we must acknowledge that, simply based on volume and scores of
contest results, the vast majority of participants are in it mostly for fun
or other reasons and not for serious competition AND that we who are
'seriously contesting' really need all the QSOs we can get from this
'majority' of non-serious contestors. In other words, how's does the saying
go, lets be careful how we shoot the gift horse or something like that.

That said, before I first started contesting, I listend to many contests
before I ever keyed the mic, keyer, or keyboard. I too, at the time, was not
interested in contesting per se, but rather in getting new contacts for WAS,
DXCC, etc. However (this was very important to me), no matter what I wanted
to accomplish, I felt I needed to 'fit in' to the event so that

--- I was NOT 'a part of the problem, but RATHER a part of the solution'---

By that, I mean that I listend and watched the exchanges; I checked the
rules; and set-up my exchanges to match those of the rules and those who
were obviously 'CONTESTING'.  It wasn't hard nor overly time consuming.
After all, these events are advertised as and called CONTESTS. Which, by
almost all definitions, suggest that it is a COMPETITION where you're
supposed to do your very best. Even if one is not striving to do that,
he/she should, at minimum, participate in such a way so as not to interfer
with the 'competitive' efforts of others.

To me, its just simple courtesy!

But yes, I get frustrated (and force myself to shake it off quickly) when
I'm in the middle of a great 100+ QSO rate per hr run, and someone or two or
more come along with their exchanges out of order or with a two line
exchange that kills or almost kills the run in short order. But its like the
intentional and unintentional interference others have been talking about.
Ya just have to shake it off and keep on going to do the very best you can
under the circumstances. How one handles these kinds of things, many will
say, is a very real part of the competition.

Over the years, I've read the many statements, complaints, etc about those
who don't conform to normal exchanges.  Most of the comments, I believe,
have been offered not to demand that macros be exactly the same or worded
one way or another, but rather offered to help make better contestors and to
improve the 'contesting experience' for all.

I do not believe that a contest is a 'social event' where personal name
recognition, comments, etc should be transmitted to one who is obviously
CONTESTING. You like the guy. You want to call him by his first name. You
want to help him by giving him your contact. You want to give him a long
exchange to make sure he got it. But do you really want to disrupt his
contesting effort?

Me? Though I may be a bit frustrated, I'm still very thankful for every
single QSO no matter how it comes to me. But thats no reason I can't
tactifully elmer someone along in the contesting experience.

Most of you on this and other contest related reflectors already know and
understand these things. The big question is how do we educate in an honest
and tactful way those who don't... or won't?

Just my 2 cents worth..

de Tom WX4TM