[RTTY] NAQP RTTY NP3D(EW1AR) Single Op LP

Andrei Stchislenok asnp3d at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 20:28:14 EDT 2008

All in all; I do not think that I could make batter result, if I would stay
on 10 meters.
I would probably make some new Mults but at the same time, considering low
rate, I would miss plenty of points overall. Who knows?
 I checked several times 10 meters very briefly (did not trust it) so I did
not hear a beep.
I had combinations SO2R as:
20/15 in the beginning (so-so), then 20/40 in the middle (better) and later
40/80 for 4 last hours - most succesfull one.
65 percent roughly I S&P and the rest was running

2008/7/21, Don Hill AA5AU <aa5au at bellsouth.net>:

> Andrei wrote:
>
> "Missed 10 meters completely; where people saw the stations on 10 meters?"
>
> Signals on ten meters were moderate to strong early and then later after
> 0000Z.  My first contact on ten was with Dean KE0WO at
> 1812Z.  He was CQ'ing.  Two minutes later I moved to 28087 and called
> CQ.  I was answered by Ted W4ZE in FL, W8BAR Tom in MA, K1FWE
> John in NH, W4UEF Rick in NC, N4IG Dave in FL, K0HW Jim in SD.  But that
> was it and I left the band at 1830Z because the rate was
> too low.  At 1954Z, I checked ten again and worked W2QO in NJ.  I called CQ
> for five minutes, then put that radio back on 20M.
>
> At 2300Z I went back to ten and there were signals there so I called CQ.  I
> worked AA2NA in NY, KK5OQ in MS (ground wave and weak),
> K3GEO in OH, then went back to 40 on that radio at 2320Z.  So I wasted a
> lot of time on ten meters.  The band was open but no one
> was there.  I kept checking back and at 0001Z there were lots of
> signals.  I worked AA3B in PA.  I then called CQ and was answered
> by W3KB, WA3AAN & WA3KVN all in PA.  I was also called by WB8JUI in OH,
> W2RTY in NY, K0JJR in MN, N9AG in OH, N2MLP in PA, K5ZD in
> MA, W3/NH7C in MD, W0BR in PA and VA3SS in ON.  But the rate was again slow
> so I went back to 20M at 0035Z.
>
> It was weird in that I had one radio on 40 meters and the other on 10
> meters at the same time.  I don't recall working that
> combination but there wasn't any interference between the radios.  Again, I
> felt I'd wasted time on ten meters.  That's a whole hour
> on ten meters where I worked only 16 stations on that radio.  I'm not so
> sure it was worth the multipliers.  Again, the band was
> open but the activity wasn't there.
>
> I checked ten again at 0100Z and worked NF6A, K6MM, and W6TQG all in CA and
> KE0L in MN, N2WK in NY, and K0FX in CO.  So this time
> the band was open to the west, east and north, but little activity.  I
> didn't waste much time and left ten for good at 0110Z.  I
> don't think I checked ten again the rest of the contest.  I was way behind
> on rate and tried to catch up but 40 and 80 were flat
> despite have low QRN.
>
> I was shocked not to make 600 Q's and 100k points and I'm sure it has to do
> with the time I wasted on ten meters.  I think the trick
> is to check 10 meters every 30 minutes, work who's there and then leave to
> then you stay.  But the rate wasn't good (this contest anyway).  Soon it
> will be good, but the big question is "when?".
>
> 73, Don AA5AU
> http://www.aa5au.com
> http://www.rttycontesting.com

73's Andrei