[RTTY] Tower Dogs TV program

Carter k8vt at ameritech.net
Mon Jul 21 20:40:10 EDT 2008

Bill Turner wrote:
> Not topic-related exactly, but probably of interest to subscribers:
>
> "DATELINE" PRESENTS "TOWER DOGS" -- A NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN LOOK AT THE MOST
> DANGEROUS JOB IN AMERICA -- MONDAY, JULY 21 AT 10 PM
>
> (New York) - July 16, 2008 - An upcoming "Dateline Presents" takes a
> never-before-seen journey into the perilous world of the tower climbers
> who
> work on the frontlines of America's high-tech communications system.
> They
> scale heights of up to 2,000 feet, in all types of weather, to install,
> maintain, and upgrade cell phone, Internet, and broadcast towers coast
> coast. And according to figures cited by OSHA, these so-called tower
> dogs
> have the highest death rate per capita of any occupation in the
> country.

You don't have to be crazy to have a job like this, but I'm sure it helps.

Reminds me of when I first hired in to the phone company back in '68 and
the Telco was in the CATV business. We had a tower crew that got all
drunked up one evening and one of them decided he could climb to the top
of the head-end tower and slide down a guy wire to ground.

Well, he got to the top OK and started to slide down. Unfortunately,
about a third of the way down, his gloves started to smoke and he let
go. Broke damn near every bone in his body; was in the hospital for
almost 2 years but lived to see another day.

They say God protects fools and drunks, and it looks like he won on both
counts...