[RTTY] Tower Dogs TV program

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 21 22:14:53 EDT 2008

I made a decent living climbing towers for about 13 years.  It wasn't my main job, but I climbed LOTS of towers.  Every time I
climbed a felt a little bit afraid.  I think this helps.  It's when you don't feel scared is when you get in trouble.  The worst
thing that ever happened was when I cut one too many cable ties and 500' of 7/8" heliax (used) fell to the ground.  Luckily the
ground crew saw it coming and ducked into the building.

Back then we didn't use harnesses, only climbing belts.  I still have my original belt and still use it to climb my ham towers.
It's in excellent shape.  It's the one thing you ALWAYS take good care of.  Now I use a secondary lanyard with my belt and stay
attached to the tower at all times.  Full body harnesses are now required when climbing over 4' in height offshore.  Oil companies
have learned that safety is not only a good thing, but it actually pays in the long run.  It wasn't always like that.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com