[RTTY] U.S.A CONTEST

Dick-w0raa w0raa at comcast.net
Tue Jul 22 11:06:06 EDT 2008

Not sure why anybody would "flame" you, Tom, but rest assured there are
those who will.

You are absolutely right.  We (and I include myself at times) just don't
take the time
to read the rules.

A good example is this past weekend's NAQP RTTY contest.  Nowhere in the
rules did
I see that a signal report had to be given.  I found it amazing that over
50% had to send
a 599 (or worse yet, a 5NN).  I even made a macro that said "Drop the
599...It's not
needed."  Yet, I heard those same stations continuing to send a 599 or 5NN.

Then there are those that just have to be super polite and say "Please
copy...", and also
those that must insist on spelling out their state.  I saw OKLAHOMA,
MISSISSIPPI,
MISSOURI, and TEXAS.  I guess they just felt that we would never be able to
understand
that the normal abbreviations, such as MO, MS, OK or TX.

I have my flame retardant suit on, too.

Dick
W0RAA