[RTTY] Looking for resources: log analysis, RFI solutions

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Mon Nov 17 12:26:08 EST 2008

Underneath, this isn't RTTY related, because I played in SS SSB this
weekend (511 Qs and missed only NL - dammit).  But the topics are
generic and y'all are a friendly and knowledgeable bunch.  :-)

Since I made a pretty good effort, I need to find some free log
analysis tools, so I can see where my strengths/weaknesses were over
the weekend.  Didn't need analysis software for this, but apparently,
calling CQ is much more efficient than S&P.  Who knew? :-P

The other thing is that my RFI is worse than I thought or remembered.
As a coworker pointed out, I did replace 110' of RG8X to the 5-band
trap dipole with 60' of 9913, so maybe that's what changed.

In any case, I need some pointers to good references.

I ended up abandoning the level converter for my IC746Pro, which is
just the "ADMS" cable from a Yaesu HT, and had to forgo automatic
band/freq logging.  Any suggestions for a better interface?  I assume
the "real" Icom CI-V box is well-shielded.

Yesterday morning, in an attempt to figure out what the heck was going
on, I ended up disconnecting *everything* except the K, V, and M and
the serial connection to the rig (well, I left the RigBlaster, which I
shouldn't have).  Even the network.  Redirected some of the ferrite I
had on those connections to the serial cable.  No difference.  Would
still lose connection and N1MM would prompt me to reset.

I'm getting in to other things as well, particularly on 40 and 80
(where I had some good runs).  Spouse had to keep resetting the DSL
modem and finally gave up after the 4th time.  I've been into the POTS
line in the past and assume I still am.  And FM broadcast.  And I
think she said she could hear me on the TV audio.  I checked - I get
no multipliers for those.

One thing I thought of that I didn't do, was to wrap the interface in
aluminum foil.

I also realized this morning that although the power supply and rig
are connected by braid to the 8' ground rod (and all coaxes via
TransiTraps) outside N5UWY, that the computer is *not*. The Radio PC
*is* grounded via the house wires, but the house ground and the radio
ground have never been, ahem, bonded together.

What would the downside be to running a braid from the PC to the radio
ground bus, I wonder?

Anyway, to bring this back to RTTY, I *really need* to get this all
sorted out before the first full weekend in January!!!

Peter

No Trillion-dollar blank check for crooks!