[RTTY] TARA RTTY Melee - Dec 6

Michael Keane K1MK k1mk at yccc.org
Tue Nov 25 12:31:44 EST 2008

On 11/24/2008 8:57 PM, Alex wrote:

> As soon as we start to think that one group or one event has more rights
> than the other at a frequency allocation at any given time, or a higher
> priority if you will, *then* we are "100% completely wrong".

Exactly.

Does anyone need to remind themselves that all Amateur frequencies are
shared; and that sharing goes both ways.  Because there's a band plan
and the band plan says Digital Modes from 1800-1810 kHz that means...
well, it means absolutely nothing. Which is the same thing that has been
told to non-contesters for years:

"Band plans are just that - plans. They are designed for normal
circumstances when band loading is much lighter than during a contest.
During major contests, the bands will be very crowded, resulting in
conditions that the band plan is not intended to address."
<http://www.arrl.org/contests/hf-faq.html#noncontesters>

It applies to RTTY and CW contesters equally. ARRL 160 will already be
in full swing come 00Z Dec 6. It really shouldn't come as a surprise to
find 1800-1810 packed wall-to-wall with CW signals. Just be forewarned
that a frequency to call CQ Mele on the low end of 180m will not be an
easy task.

Best of luck to those who want to try roller skating in a buffalo heard.

73,
Mike K1MK