[RTTY] Desecheo this weekend

Art W2NRA w2nra at optonline.net
Sat Feb 21 09:05:00 EST 2009

Hi David,

Were you trying last night on 40m RTTY?  I was in there calling and I
thought I saw K5D come back to a partial of your call but didn't stick with
it and picked up someone else.  I think K5D was having RFI problems last
night as their signal went funny a few times.  This slowed down their QSO
rate, frustrating the pileup.  Also I don't think the Operator was a regular
RTTY op as he used very short exchanges that required many many repeats.
Maybe they were trying to keep the exchanges short because of the RFI
problem.  Then they disappeared for about 10 - 15 minutes.  When they came
back the signal was more solid and much of the pileup had given up so it was
easy to work them then.  I worked them then and I think W6WRT did too.  BTW
they were sending UP 7 but I saw them work stations anywhere from 3 to 9 KHz
(I monitor my TX freq full time with dual receive radio & 2 instances of
MMTTY).

Keep trying.  I've worked them on 4 bands on RTTY and the other ops had much
higher QSO rates.  Keep an eye on 17, 20, 30 & 40.  Also they've announced
they will do RTTY on 80m.  I also think they will try more RTTY on 15m
because they only have 2 QSOs there so far.  That could be a more exclusive
skip for us.

73, Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com