[RTTY] CQ to accept eQSL for Awards..

Michael Keane K1MK k1mk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 14 19:38:50 EST 2009

This is the RTTY Reflector and not the LoTW reflector so thee are my
last words on the subject...

> I can generate a photocopy of ANY US license from
 > the FCC web site

I needn't have to remind you that the LoTW requirement for a copy of an
identity document applies to >>non-U.S.<< licensees. What the FCC does
is irrelevant.

So, what other country's telecommunications agency does anything similar
to what the FCC does? I challenge you to demonstrate how little a copy
of a license document proves by supplying us with a photocopy/scan of
ANY non-U.S. license of which you are not the licensee Joe. If you
could, perhaps you'd be making a valid point here. Otherwise you're just
throwing us yet another red herring.

> The second step - an identity document - is a minimally
 > intrusive way to show that the applicant is the person
 > they are represented to be.

How does a photocopy of an identity document show in any way that a
person is who they represent themselves to be any more than does a
photocopy of a license document? It is not like someone is actually
comparing the applicant with his/her photo-ID.

The only value to authentication value in requiring a second photocopied
document be supplied is that it would require a potential forger to fake
two kins of documents copies rather than just one.

I love the ARRL. But in the ID-theft aware environment we live today,
even I would have to think twice about sending the League the equivalent
of my SS number or driver's license number for no good reason.

73,
Mike K1MK