[RTTY] CQ to accept eQSL for Awards..

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Jan 15 00:41:15 EST 2009

> I needn't have to remind you that the LoTW requirement for a
> copy of an identity document applies to >>non-U.S.<< licensees.
> What the FCC does is irrelevant.

That's correct with respect to Logbook of the World (and one
reason ARRL does not require a license copy from US licensees).
However it is entirely on point with regard to the integrity
of eQSL.  Quite simply, I can print to pdf from the web any
US license, set up a bogus account on eQSL.cc and e-mail
the pdf from a hotmail, gmail, etc free web account and
become "AG" for any call I would like.

With no restriction to "prove identity," eQSL is no more secure
than e-mailed PDF cards.  BTW, LotW "proves identity" for US
licensees my mailing the post card to the address in the FCC
database.  To game that system an individual would need to
commit fraud with the FCC.  Security for US amateurs with LotW
is actually more stringent than for those in any other country.

> I challenge you to demonstrate how little a copy of a license
> document proves by supplying us with a photocopy/scan of
> ANY non-U.S. license of which you are not the licensee Joe.

All I need is a copy of a legitimate license for the country
in question.  Document/graphical editing tools are quite
sophisticated modifying a legitimate license is not very
difficult but I have no reason to obtain the materials with
which to create phantom foreign licenses to game LotW.

> But in the ID-theft aware environment we live today, even I
> would have to think twice about sending the League the equivalent
> of my SS number or driver's license number for no good reason.

If foreign governments had a database equivalent to the FCC
license database available to the public, I would bet that
the ARRL would use it to make registration of non-US users
easier.  I do not know of any such government run system.

Requiring a copy of a government issued ID is as good a form
of fraud prevention as is available unless you can get IARU
member societies to register users by checking IDs in person.

In any case, none of the arguments over LotW procedures address
the documented flaws and fraud in eQSL ... nor does it address
the refusal of the operators of eQSL to terminate users known
to be committing fraud on a regular and repeated basis.  Their
failure to take action to maintain the integrity of eQSL makes
eQSL "QSLs" worthless and makes a mockery of those awards that
accept such questionable "confirmations."

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV