[RTTY] CQ to accept EQSL for awards

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Fri Jan 16 12:00:29 EST 2009

Peter,

First, I didn't start the thread, I just jumped in with the clarification
about requests "showing up".

On eQSL you cannot see the other stations log. BUT you can see any cards
they sent to you. So in the case of the 100 bogus QSOs I mentioned, yes you
would see all 100 of them in the eQSL system. You have the option to accept
them or reject them. They are not valid until you accept them. It's a double
entry system, but it's not double blind, like LoTW.

This is a 'nice' feature for the honest people. I get enough cards where I
must reject some. There are many reasons, but many times it will be a
"busted QSO" from a contest. There's two ways (maybe more) that this can
happen. I might get in a pile up calling XX9XX, they answer me and we
exchange contest info. Unbeknown to me, KØRF was calling the same station
and that's who the other guy actually logged. So when I send my eQSL to
XX9XX, I will not be in his log. Likewise, it works the other way. I might
have a pile up working me and I answer ZZ9ZZ and put him in the log. In that
pile up there might be a station that 'thinks' I worked them, ZZ8ZZ for
example. I will receive an eQSL request from both stations, for the same
time, same mode, same band, but only ZZ9ZZ will be in my log. It's up to me
to reject (or not accept) the wrong confirmation.

Certainly there are "trollers" out there. That's the guy who sends 100 cards
looking for a "hit" on LoTW. You won't know this on LoTW because you can't
see anything except the contacts that match. On eQSL you will get all 100
requests and quickly see what is going on.

There's more reasons for getting non-matching QSL requests on eQSL.
Sometimes the other guy has his logging software set to local time instead
of UTC. An honest mistake. I found a bunch of my own logs from 40 years ago
were logged in local time. Then there's the problem when switching to
daylight saving time and back. If this error isn't caught, you won't get a
match, but you might figure it out on eQSL because you can see the incoming
request is one hour off.

Yesterday I was sitting here reading the banter back and forth regarding the
certifications to prove "who you are". This whole "game" is only as
important as we want to make it. It's not life or death, but for some, it's
more important than that. The DXCC system has been effectively "sold" to the
participants and they have "bought" it. It's too bad we've had crooks in the
White House... oh sorry, the DXCC program that has caused this level of
paranoia and stringent criteria to be implemented in the system.

Someone else said it yesterday. It's a hobby. When someone (non-ham) talks
to me about "radio", they almost always ask "how far can you talk?". A chunk
of wood on the wall, a drawer full of postcards, or a book of certificates
isn't going to impress them any more than your answer to their question. It
isn't important to them. It's only important to your peers. You know, peer
pressure. "Hey mom, Johnnie is going to jump off the bridge, can I go with
him?"

</soapbox>

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN