[RTTY] Best RTTY program/hardware

Jay ws7i at ewarg.org
Sun Jan 25 10:37:34 EST 2009

Well there will never be much more hardware developed and/or sold, first
of all there is no market at all for it and second as Chen describes you
can't compete with software and soundcards, primarily as they are "free".

I have a pile of hardware TU's, I have tested all that I am aware of
through the years.  There is a CP-1 sitting over on the shelf that I
bought not long ago for $2 at a hamfest which I use to drive scopes as
contest sites.  There is a Info-Tech M200 E, a Hal ST-6 that I recently
actually built, a Hal ST-600, a Hal ST-8000.  A DSP4100/2K as well which
I do use on Pactor and Clover.  Even a Dovetron sits on the shelf.  I
sort of collect these old things.  WV7Y my XYL wishes that I didn't.

Part of the problem with software and indeed hardware TU's is that you
actually must know several things about RTTY and what all the knobs do
on hardware TU's as well as the setups for the various programs.
Profiles for MMTTY are the key.  Also there is a world of difference in
where you operate from and what works from your location.  Up here (45
N) polar flutter is a big problem as is Multi-path.

So setup is important.  BTW, if you have a ST-8000 you should find out
the differences between AM  and FM TU's as well as Regeneration.

Lot of difference between contests and DXing as well.  Who won?  Well
the best hardware TU is the Hal ST-8000 but at some $x,xxx bucks with
Mil-spec parts no one will make them again.  But if you can find one,
but it, for the $300 to $800 bucks they are fun to own.

Software TU's who knows, MMTTY is what I use.  The profiles are
configurable.  Sounds like to me I need to get an Apple to try Chen's
program.  Wonder if it would work under Unbuntu?  Since Apple's really
just run Unix perhaps it would.