[RTTY] BARTG Sprint Rules Questions

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:23:36 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 15:00, Ed Muns <w0yk at msn.com> wrote:
> You're very clear about being careful to use the right certificate when
> uploading a log.  What is the problem if you use the wrong certificate?
> Since you can upload logs multiple times, can't you just re-upload the log
> with the correct certificate?  Seems like worse case there will be some
> wrong QSOs loaded but there shouldn't be any corresponding logs to create
> QSLs for them.

You can and I have.  But those QSOs signed with the wrong certificate
never ever go away.  ARRL says this isn't a problem but I (and others)
disagree.

BTW, you can configure location info in TQSL (the application that
signs logs) for each of you certificates.  If you upload with the
wrong location info), a re-upload with the correct info will "update"
the database record and will not create a zombie.  This was common in
my own case, sadly, when I first got onto LoTW.  :-(

Personally, I think the ARRL should update the LoTW rules to make some
"portable" prefixes/suffixes meaningless.  I.e., if I signed as
N5UWY/9 or N5UWY it wouldn't matter because "/9" doesn't change my
DXCC location, but if I signed as N5UWY/VE2 or M/N5UWY, I'd need a new
certificate since those are different DXCC entities.  Bye, bye zombie
issue for surely 2/3 of cases.  Certainly mine (which is all I care
about, of course! :-).

No Trillion-dollar blank check for crooks!