[RTTY] Best program

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Tue Jan 27 00:51:02 EST 2009

On Jan 26, 2009, at 8:47 PM, rick darwicki wrote:
> I give it to RITTY hands down. RITTY copied much more accurately on
> weak and fading signals, plus it had spaces where some of the other
> programs ran things together.

RITTY was (and still is) an amazing feat, considering that when Brian
wrote it, I don't believe Johan KC7WW has yet created the first
amateur HF Channel Simulator.

Unless Brian had access to profession Channel Simulators, he must have
recorded countless hours of RTTY signals under all kinds of
propagation conditions to come up with the RITTY algorithms.

(Johan's simulator originally ran in a TAPR DSP box, if memory serves
-- it was later ported to Linux, and Moe AE4JY then wrote PathSim for
Windows after that).

It is funny that we seem to recycle this topic every four years.  Take
a look this exchange from the RTTY Reflector in 2001:

http://www.rttyinfo.com/rttyinfo/RX_compare.htm

Then in 2005, Alex VE3NEA got the issue raised again when he created
RttyCompare:

http://lists.contesting.com/_rtty/2005-01/msg00370.html  (the URL Alex
gave is obsolete; but I posted the current URL a couple of days ago)
http://lists.contesting.com/_rtty/2005-04/msg00121.html

I look forward for this topic to again come up in 2013 :-) :-)

73
Chen, W7AY