[RTTY] Bartg-Sprint logs

John Barber GW4SKA ska at bartg.org.uk
Sat Jan 31 16:34:43 EST 2009

Hi Curt,

Here is what happens when a Sprint log comes in:

All mail with an attachment gets a standard acknowledgement.
If the subject includes a valid class e.g. SOE it gets in to the right
folder, which saves me having to open the file and check the class of entry.
This is in the rules but only about 70% do it.

Then comes the first level of checking. I look at each mail and the
attachment name. The attachment should be named callsign.log.

If it comes from a W or VE station or
If it comes from someone I know sends the right logs or
If I see from the message text that it is produced by Writelog or RCK
then the attachment is filed in a class folder for later crosschecking.

If the attachment is .cbr or from JA, Russia, Italy or Eastern Europe I know
that 90% will be incorrectly formatted. I open the file, visually check for
correct contest name and exchanged info, then either file or send back a
standard message saying that there is a problem and suggesting some possible
causes. So far this year I have returned 172 incorrectly formatted logs.
Other errors include logs with odd names such as 'GW4SKAbartg2009final.log'
rather than plain 'GW4SKA.log', which means renaming the file. Some will be
sent back to me in the correct form, some will still be wrong and some do
not bother. For example a very common problem is the logs for the Sprint
having 2 columns of 599 reports. If the 599 columns are just deleted it puts
the other data in the wrong places ... quite often I will manually edit a
log myself, rather than ask for a correction, especially for non-English
speaking entrants who may have difficulty in understanding what is wrong.

The other logs will mostly get a visual check but some may just go through
for crosschecking.

I then run them all through the first log check, which shows up the bad ones
that have got this far. At this stage it is easier for me to edit rather
than try for a correct log, assuming all the info is present. Eventually all
will be in the correct form and the few remaining errors will be with scores
(or lack of them), due to such things as someone signing W1ABC/9 in the test
but sending in the log as W1ABC.

Various other checks are then made, results decided and published.

Hopefully the Sprint results get finished before the BARTG HF RTTY logs
arrive in March!

Sorry for the long answer but it may give a bit more of an insight to other
ops and answer a few unasked questions.

Cheers,

John GW4SKA
BARTG Contest Manager