[RTTY] USOS FIGS

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 6 10:26:14 PDT 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 08:52:34 -0700 (PDT), rick darwicki <n6pe at yahoo.com> wrote:

>So for standard HAM operation I should set USOS to ON and FIGS to off?
>
>Send (space)599-001-001 in contests and (space)599(space)001(space)001 if asked for a repeat?

REPLY:

USOS (also known as UOS) should be on. FIGS will shift automatically, you don't
have to do anything.

As to the hyphen, my preference is to not use it at all. The presence of the
hyphen defeats the USOS function, although it does speed up the transmission a
small amount. I think you will find if you eliminate the hyphen, over the course
of a contest you will get fewer requests for repeats. Most operators who stop
using it report the same thing.

If you insist on using it, your solution above with separate macros is a good
one.

73, Bill W6WRT