[RTTY] DOSBOX

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 8 16:24:43 PDT 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 18:17:20 -0400, "Harry Coates" <wa8hc1 at charter.net>
wrote:

>Steve,
>I been wondering the same kind of thing, to use RITTY.. I've tried all sorts of stuff to get it going again?? Let's see if some of the gurus know how..
>
>Harry  WA8HC at arrl.net

REPLY:

I'm not the greatest RiTTY guru for sure but I have been using it
since nearly day one and still do, for that matter. What kinds of
things do you need to know?

Just for starters, here are a few facts:

1. RiTTY only runs under DOS, but that includes Windows 98 and earlier
versions of Windows since they are really a 'glorified' DOS system. To
the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever gotten RiTTY to run
correctly under Windows 2000 or XP since they are not DOS-based.
Performance under Vista is not known, but it is highly unlikely to be
functional.

2. RiTTY requires a Soundblaster 16 ISA soundcard. There are a few
versions of that card, all with model numbers like 17xx. A PCI
soundcard will not work, again to the best of my knowledge. Many folks
have tried to make PCI work and none have succeeded. If anyone has
contrary info, please let us know the specific details.

3. RiTTY has a very simple anti-piracy system embedded in it. Each
copy of RiTTY is registered to a particular callsign. When receiving
only, nothing unusual happens, but when transmitting you must send
that callsign at least once in every ten transmissions. If you do not,
RiTTY sends a pre-recorded message announcing to the world that the
copy in use is pirated. It does not prevent transmitting, it just
embarrasses the user.

There are many more subtleties about RiTTY but those should get the
ball rolling. More questions? Fire away.

73, Bill W6WRT