[RTTY] Fun, but

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sun Mar 1 12:33:00 PST 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 11:32 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> The issue is with AFSK not FSK.  The first fix was released in
> the pubic beta software (MCU 2.82/DSP 2.00) dated 9 Feb 2009
> and includes a transmit BPF (CONFIG:AFSK TX).

No, that transmit bandpass filter had only addressed the symptom, not
the cause, Joe.  As a result, as a few people have reported after
installing the Feb 9 Beta firmware, certain settings still caused the
envelope glitches.

Take a careful look at the early notes that came with the Alpha
firmware (the latest alpha came out on February 26) which Wayne had
sent as email to a couple of people (you and I included).

One alpha tester whose problem the Feb 9 Beta did not cure, has
reported that the latest Alpha is no longer producing audible
keyclicks.  So, there is hope that the root cause, and not the
symptom, is finally addressed.  This why I used "[[ currently ]]" in
my earlier posting, and specially placed emphasis on the word.

Until this is sent to a wider beta audience, we don't know yet if it
fixes all cases.  And even so, there are going to be a whole lots of
people who will still be transmitting dirty RTTY signals.

> Of course none if this makes any difference if your old
> receiver folds when another station moves in 100 Hz away.

There you go again, Joe, another red herring.

Please stop blaming other peoples' receivers, when in this case the
transmitter is at fault.  I am sure Tom's receiver is fine, especially
where his QTH is.  He has been doing RTTY for long enough to identify
an overly broad signal from an overloaded front end.

We are addressing overly broad RTTY signals here, not loud RTTY
signals.  You cannot prevent your transmitted signal from being loud
to another ham.  But you can avoid being unnecessarily broad.

73
Chen, W7AY