[RTTY] 160 contest

Tom Osborne w7why at verizon.net
Sun Nov 1 09:16:07 PST 2009

Jay wrote:

> This thread seems to be fun.  It started with adding 160 to CQWW RTTY
> and WPX RTTY, both of which are bad ideas IMHO.  Having created a couple
> of contests doing a RTTY one is a good idea.

So, other than it would be harder to decode, what is the real reason not to
use RTTY in the WPX?

Bigger antennas that are hard to put up?  On 40 I'd like to have a stack of
3 4 element yagis, but I have a vertical.  Guess nobody should be able to
use a 3-stack 'cause it's too hard to put up.

Give someone an advantage over someone not using 160?  Don't think so.  I'd
be wasting my time trying to work someone on 160 while you are running on
40.

Interfere with ongoing QSO's?  Don't know about east of Oregon, but here I
can tune the 160 meter band whenever there's no contest going on and hear 1
or 2 Q's in progress, mostly on CW.

Having fun trying to do sometihng when it's supposedly be impossible to do?
There you go!!  Maybe that's why some guys would like to try it.  I know I
would.  73
Tom W7WHY