[RTTY] Does Belkin F5U103 work on Windows XP?

Dave Hachadorian K6LL at ARRL.net
Mon Nov 16 08:55:15 PST 2009

The Belkin USB to Serial converter is unique because, in the old
days, it was the only one that directly supported the baudot 5
bit code, which only mattered if you were NOT using a TNC. You
could connect a simple one transistor circuit to the Belkin's
DB-9 and you were in business for direct FSK transmit. I am still
using my old Belkin with XP on a laptop for portable use, so it
does work on XP.

After all the RTTY guys (like me) ran out and scooped up all the
cheap old Belkins from EBay, along came a software program called
EXTFSK, which allows ANY usb to serial converter to transmit FSK
with that same cheap transistor interface.

None of this really matters for communicating with a TNC. You
should be able to go to Wal-Mart, The Shack, or Beast Buy and get
the cheapest one you can find.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ