[RTTY] Question about Super Check Partial files

Bob Raymond, WA1Z bob at wa1z.net
Wed Sep 2 12:45:04 PDT 2009

> I am curious about something. As RTTY contesters probably know, WA1Z has
> recently taken over the creation of the Super Check Partial files from AA5AU.
>
> On his (WA1Z) website appears the following:
>
> "All files submitted become the property of WA1Z and will be used
> only for the
> purpose of creating the master call files."
>
> I find this strange. What is the reason for my log becoming his
> property? Surely
> there must BE a reason or he would not have bothered to post the notice.
>
> I contacted him when I first saw this but never received an
> explanation, only a
> reiteration of the statement.
>
> Does anyone know?

Hi Bill,

I thought I had provided you an explanation of the statement, not a
simple reiteration.  I will attempt to do so again:

About a month before I agreed to take on AA5AU's SCP database, I took
over the general Super Check Partial database over from Randy, K5ZD.
At that time, the statement on the SCP website read:

"All files submitted become the property of K5ZD and will be used only
for the purpose of creating the master call files."

I decided to continue using the same usage policy that Randy used.  I
felt that it properly conveyed a promise that any file submitted to me
will in turn be used for the sole purpose of generating the database.
It goes on to say I will hold on to the *copy* of the file for a
period of 2 years.  I changed nothing other than the callsign because
I wanted to convey a seamless transition and do the same great job
that Randy had done.

When Don asked me to take on the RTTY files, I simply merged them into
the general SCP environment and use the same website.

I hope that finally clears things up.

73,
Bob WA1Z