[RTTY] RTTY contest questions and comments

Phil Sussman psussman at pactor.com
Tue Sep 29 10:15:05 PDT 2009

In my experience, that lag into TX has more to do with the operating
software than anything else.

A logging program often runs on a slow old computer. Sometimes an
'auto-fill' doesn't work or the mouse clicks 'wrong' necessatating
an manual entry. The DUPE check takes time and then the usual key-up
between the software, interface, and the rig.

If I'm using an SCS-PTC on RTTY, the key-up is about 3/4 second due
to the internal delays. In addition, "F" keys are needed to put
the proper sequence into the log -- after the previous QSO. (So as
not to 'log a bad one') This introduces a delay as the rig goes
into the CQ mode while logging is 'confirmed'. In my case the CQ
does not stop automatically until a key is pressed. Thus, answering
is a two or three keystroke operation.

Luckily I'm not into the die-hard contest mode so if a lose a
second or two I'm not going to self destruct. The pressure of
squeezing another 0.1 second out of an exchange is not for me.

Rag-chew, yes. Contest to the extent of obsession, not me!

73 de Phil - N8PS