[RTTY] What causes RTTY with longish character spacing?

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Tue Sep 29 15:59:17 PDT 2009

Charles KK5OQ wrote:

> His sig was strong enough for a good copy. When I listened the signal
> actually sounded like it would slow down after he sent a few
> characters. I
> don't think it was really slowing down but it was the time between
> the space
> and shifts that made it sound like it was.

I think Charles meant the use of FSK-D.  That is the mode in the K3
that takes paddles.

One tell tale sign should be the drunks appear to slow down when
sending J and numbers and then speed up when they send letters like E
and I.

Average CW speed is measured with the "standard" word PARIS, whose
characters in Morse are all shorter than most numbers in Morse code.
So, even if the op claims to paddle CW at "60 WPM," there is little
chance they can send non-cut numbers at full RTTY speed.

If not for (ab)use of paddles, I can't think of what else can cause a
K3 (in either FSK or AFSK) to sound differently from other rigs.

73
Chen, W7AY