[RTTY] What causes RTTY with longish character spacing?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Sep 29 16:26:50 PDT 2009

Jim,

> Every now and then during a RTTY contest, I hear a station
> that sounds like they are typing the characters as they go,
> such that the letters get printed more slowly than if they
> had been sent out automatically (in one "burst").  But the
> spacing between the letters is too regular for it to be just
> someone typing in real-time.

I believe those stations have (accidentally?) moved the
"Char wait" and/or "Diddle Wait" sliders in MMTTY from
the left most positions.  If I recall correctly, "Char
Wait" will add extra space between characters.

The comments pointing to "Strict BPS" in microHAM Router
are off the mark.  "Strict BPS" will slow down the RTTY
marginally as the Eltima Driver used in Router treats all
data as 8-bit codes (start, 8 data bits, one stop bit) ...
this results in Baudot/ITA2 (a 5 bit code) which normally
consists of 7.5 bits (start, 5 data bits, 1.5 stop bits)
being sent with 10 bits (start, 5 data bits and 4 stop
bits).  "Strict BPS" is only needed with some software
(like Writelog's RTTYrite or MMTTY without the "Limiting
Speed" setting) that does not pace character output in
FSK.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV