[RTTY] What causes RTTY with longish character spacing?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Sep 29 16:58:14 PDT 2009

> > I use the microHAM interface, and my transmitted FSK tones sound
> > nothing like these stations.
>
> Because there is no way to echo the RTTY buffer in the
> microHAM "Keyer Protocol"s FSK interface back to the computer,
> some programs opted to use only a single character of the buffer.

There is no need to do that.  MMTTY's "Limiting Speed" option
simply sends one character every 165 msec (1.5 stop bits) or
176 msec (two stop bits).  That avoids the need to watch for
an echo - although MMTTY will echo as sent and a programmer
could use that with the MMTTY engine.

> Since you have to send 5-bit Baudot instead of ASCII to the keyer,
> there is no way for the keyer to know if a FIGS state has
> been changed by a LTRS diddle.  As a result, there is no automatic
> generation of a diddle by the keyer.  If you are late in delivering
> the next character, the keyer will remain in the Mark position until
> it can resume sending the start bit of the new character.

That's not the responsibility of the UART (microKEYER acts like a
UART - not a code translator or "keyer").  The software should be
generating a diddle when it has no other data but is still in
transmit.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV