[RTTY] Pet Peeve on Some RUN Stations

Dick Kriss aa5vu at arrl.net
Tue Sep 29 17:41:27 PDT 2009

My pet peeve in the CQ-WW-RTTY contest was RUN stations
that would call CQ and rather responding with the normal
³HISCALL 599 03 CA HISCALL² or ³599 03 CA HISCALL² they
would respond with ³599 03 CA² and wait to see if someone
would QSL and send a report. It seemed like the RUN station
would then select and then acknowledge one of the calls from
the pileup.

All this procedure did was to cause confusing as it was not clear
who the generic report was directed. I refused to send a report
until the RUN station acknowledged my call with a report.

Since this was not an isolated issue with one or two stations,
I wonder if it could have been the failure of linked macros that
should have appended a selected call to the report rather than
a RUDE contesting technique?

Off the Soapbox

73 Dick AA5VU