[RTTY] Dashes in Contest Reports

Steve Norris w5ki at aol.com
Mon Jan 25 07:19:53 PST 2010

I use the #-# and prefer to Rcv it that way in crowded band condx.  (N1MM/MMTTY here also).  I think it jumps out against that solid backdrop of garbage under busy/noisy condx.

My F2/Exch macro set to use #-#.  However, for fills, or to send "extra" #'s, I set my F7 with "<sp>#<sp>".  If I want to sent the number three times on a fill request, I punch "only" F7 three times and get "#  #  #".  Admittedly it sends 2 spaces between the #'s (by choice), but at that point the quick QSO is blown anyway.

But the larger problem, IMO:  Sending macros without a space "before and after" the text strings, especially callsigns.  In the non-stop garbage, any speed gained by leaving out that "space" is lost quickly.

Steve, W5KI