[RTTY] FSK and Dell PC with TS2000

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Jul 10 15:21:09 PDT 2010

 > I suspect there is an issue with the Com port on the dell PC and
 > the RTS line being held high or low which ever that is until the
 > MMTTY program opens.  I have already tried updating the BIOS for
 > the system Mother board no difference, check setting in bios all
 > appears to be proper, at least there is no selective options I
 > can see that would change anything, I only have 2 Com Ports and
 > it does it on both .

There used to be some utilities floating around that would allow
setting the handshake lines on boot you might try google to find
one for your operating system (you don't say which version).

One other thing to try is to disable handshake in Windows Device
Manager ... click on each of the serial ports, select Port Settings
and set "Flow Control" to "None" or "Xon/Xoff."  Either of those
settings should cause the drivers to leave the DTR and RTS lines
low until enabled by an application.

If all else fails try a batch file (autoexec.bat) with:
   mode com1: 9600,n,8,1,,,,,off,off
   mode com2: 9600,n,8,1,,,,,off,off

Create the file in a text editor, then create a shortcut to
CMD that calls that batch file and place the shortcut in
your Windows Startup folder

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV