[RTTY] 200 hz filter on RTTY

Jeff Blaine AC0C keepwalking188 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 14:20:03 PDT 2010

Joe,

You are right.  I think we discussed the shape factor of the K3 250 hz 8
pole design earlier on the board few months back.  I have the same memory as
you.

The shape factor (if you want to use that term) on the MMTTY BPF can be set
by the number of taps selected in the software.

I need to sit down with it and play around to get some hard numbers.  But
anyone else can do it as well - there is a simulate button in MMTTY which
will show you what the passband and transition band shape will look like for
any of the BPF filter configurations.

So even for a guy without tight crystal filters and no rig based DSP, they
can use MMTTY's BPF feature to provide the similar functionality.

The selling point, if you want to use that, for rig based filtering is one
of overload prevention - similar to Chen's caviet on sound card clipping.
As long as the signal heading into the MMTTY DSP is clean, even if it's 4
Khz wide, then some adjustment of the MMTTY BPF settings should provide copy
to the same extent as rig based DSP or crystal fitlering.

But there is the rub - in a contest environment, especially if K3LR is your
neighbor, then rig overload is a big issue.  And no matter how good is the
DSP on the rig or the MMTTY, if a bunch of IMD products are bouncing around
on your passband, we got trouble...

73/jeff/ac0c