[RTTY] BARTG 75 Sprint

Stephen/Marilyn Haines steveandmarilynhaines at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 08:12:57 PDT 2010

On 6/14/2010 9:36 AM, Ian GM4KLN wrote:
> Steve
>
> I also have a fairly mediocre station with 50w to a vertical dipole actually
> below the surrounding ground level (it is in a cut-out area at the bottom of
> my garden) and my path to Caribbean thru North America is intercepted by a
> steep sided hill within 1/4 mile.
>
> Unlike you, I found no discernable difference between 45 and 75 as far as
> repeats were concerned: I think it is often more a case of power
> discrepancies, in that I work folk churning out 300+ watts, but my
> pee-shooter station enjoys far lower ERP especially - this particularly the
> case when I am S&P scratching round for new stations who are sometimes weak
> at this end, so I must have been very weak at their end. All credit (and
> thanks) to all those for persevering and pulling me through. Then again...I
> guess you had a stream of stations queuing for your multiplier, whereas I
> never experience that pleasant phenomenon....

Wow Ian . . . it sure would be a pleasant experience -- if it ever
happened! Between not hearing well and not being heard, I never have
been able to run in RTTY tests. I can do it in CW tests, and in regular
CQing in a non-contest environment. Next time I think I'll start out way
high in the band and just call CQ until someone finds me and hopefully
spots me. Other than an  LU or PY or two, everyone I work is fairly
long-haul. I blush to admit that I only eeked out 6 QSOs in the sprint
(but I did better in the DLDC at 45 baud).