[RTTY] Cheating

Phil Sussman psussman at pactor.com
Tue Jun 15 03:22:45 PDT 2010

I've been following this thread and both sides make good points.

My contention, which is obvious, is that no matter the category of
entry -- the entry of a peanut whistle station is frustrating. But
the mentality of the operator(s) striving in contests has moved
into the range of obsessive for some. That's even worse!

Many years ago I was an avid contester; however, with the advent of
'checking the log' of every single contact and disqualifying contacts
because they weren't in more than one or two logs literally drove me
away. (Little guys need not bother, there's no little guy category, eh?)

So, if I make one or two contacts in a contest don't expect any
points from me. I received complaints (via email) that I was detracting
from their 'rate' if I didn't send in my log, in ADIF no less! Yep,
obsessive. It just wasn't fun any more.

Now I watch from the sidelines as stations are built, at a fantastic cost,
to achieve nothing more than the highest score. And contenders wrestle over
whether it takes only one multifunction radio or a dozen to drive off the
smaller, less equipped (eg. can't afford the price) operators.

Look for me on 17m RTTY during a contest, just chatting -- unless the
contest gurus mandate that operating on 17m becomes necessary to generate
even higher contest scores.

My opinion, end of soap box!

73 de Phil - N8PS